Tuesday, February 14, 2023

Selecting a Genre

 Choosing a genre for my film opening requires researching some of my favorite films to help me think of ideas for my project. I have decided to make my film opening under the genre of science fiction/dystopian as it will allow me the freedom to explore the unknown and unexplained. I started by researching some case studies so I can better understand the genre. I chose to look at the films The Hunger Games (2012) and Ready Player One (2018). These films have a similar theme and contain some of the same features that make them fall into the dystopian genre. Some important elements in this genre include either governmental or technological control over the characters, environmental destruction, loss of individualism, or survival. My film will also incorporate several of these elements and themes as well.

The Hunger Games is one of the most well known films in this genre. It follows the main character, Katniss and her quest to win the Hunger Games. The film takes place in the fictional Capitol of Panem.  The Capitol controls its 12 districts by making each one choose a boy and a girl, known as Tributes, to compete in a nationally broadcast competition known as the Hunger Games. Every person is required to observe as the youths engage in death matches until only one is left.  In order to win the game, Katniss Everdeen has to rely on her hunting prowess and astute instincts to guide her to victory.





The next film I researched was Ready Player One. This movie takes place in The OASIS, a vast virtual reality environment developed by James Halliday, that offers hope to humans in 2045 as the world is on the verge of anarchy and collapse. When Halliday passes away, he makes a huge financial guarantee to the first person to find a hidden digital Easter egg in the OASIS. Young Wade Watts enters the competition and soon finds himself on a reality-defying treasure hunt through a fantasy world full of intrigue and exploration. These are two films that have inspired me to create a film opening in this genre. 


Sources: 

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1392170/

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt1677720/






No comments:

Post a Comment

Critical Reflection

Creating a film, especially within the sci-fi genre, involves a complex process that spans from conceptualization to promotion. Over nine we...